406 Squadron - Frankston South
How to join as a cadet
Ready to join Air Force Cadets? Find out more about the eligibility criteria before signing up.
406 Squadron was first formed as No. 6 Flight Air Training Corps on the 19th November 1945, by the amalgation of No. 5 and No. 15 Squadrons. On the 4th of September 1947, 6 Flight was conferred to the Christian Brothers College.
On the 23rd of February 1950, the flight was disbanded at the Christian Brothers College, and was raised again on the 27th Feb. 1950 at Essendon Technical School. It continued to operate for another 6 years before it was again disbanded.
In 1971, 6 Flight was re-raised at Frankston High School, but soon after moved to the Artillery Drill Hall at Railway Parade in Frankston. When the 23rd Field Battery Regiment moved to it’s new premises in Robinsons Road, Baxter, accomodation was made for the flight. No. 6 Flight was also the first flight to have a female Flight Commander – FLTLT(AIRTC) Ethne Rodgers. 6 Flight closed down as an Air Training Corps flight on 30/09/1996.
On 12 Jun 2001, twenty cadets were enrolled under 18 Flight TYABB for an interim period. These cadets were to form the initial reforming of 6 Flight – Frankston. As the Frankston Flight had not been set up at this stage they were enrolled under 18 Flight. On 01 June 2002, 406 Squadron was accredited as an operational squadron and the twenty cadets who were enrolled under 18 Flight were transferred to 406 Squadron. The squadron was initially set up with an establishment of 30 Cadets.
On 09 May 2007, 418 Squadron moved from its location at HMAS Cerberus and joined with 406 Squadron at Frankston. Both squadrons paraded together on a Wednesday evening at Frankston. The amalgamation of both squadrons became official on 31 Dec 2008 and 418 squadron ceased to exist with all staff and cadets been transferred to 406 Squadron.
At this Wing we bring together cadets from different squadrons for training and activities.